Wednesday 21 August 2013

Skink Priest - part 1

Here we go again, it's time to start painting a new mini! My next 'big' project is Chi-Chi from infamy but I've decided to slip in a smaller mini before I go all gorilla.

There are a few reasons for this not least I just fancy working on a smaller project after the epic timescale spent on those Scourge minis. Also some of my ideas for the colours on Chi-Chi are a bit too similar to those on the scourge so I want to work on something different, rather than just ploughing on with more of the same. This mini will act as a sort of palette cleanser (skink sorbet anyone?). Finally I like this mini and it's just possible that if I can get some serious mini painting time under my belt I might have him ready for the Golden Demons. Painting to a tight deadline will help stop me being tempted to go back and fiddle with the Dark Eldar Dio so the skink is also acting as a diversion until the GDs

If you are in the least bit familiar with this blog I'll forgive you for any doubts you may have over my ability to turn him around in a month! I know I've got them but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

The prep on the mini was pretty standard. Just a matter of cleaning up the mould lines and assembly although he was a bit fiddly in places. I think the fiddle factor was worth it as the finished pose and overall dimensionality of the mini are excellent. Whatever you think about finecast GW can turn out some excellent plastics and seem to be continually refining their production to create more dynamic minis.



I've base coated all the flesh areas with Sotek Green as I'm going for an overall blue/green skin tone and it's a really lovely colour to work with. After all those muted and pastel tones on the Scourge it's a joy to work with some vibrant colour again although I'll have to keep my head and not go too lurid. Ignore the red dots under the eye they will be covered up with something less distracting.

This will be my first mini painted (almost) entirely with the 'new' colours from GW and I'm looking forward to seeing how they work out.

6 comments:

  1. Wow look at that subtle fade on his face! I would need my bloody airbrush to do that - you must have the patience of a saint!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic start. Love this model as well. Can't wait to see where you take it.

    On the subject of plastics from GW. These clampack characters are beautiful and dynamic. Love them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey ! Good idea to change your mind with that kind of colored mini ;)

    I've seen your PIP picture and I'd like to ask you if it could'nt be easier to paint on a white undercoat than directly of the plastic cast ?

    Whaterver, the colors are really and your paint job is great, and according to me the red warpaints under the eye are pretty fun ;)

    Let's see what you'll do on it, after your marvellous dio !

    (I'm impatient to look at your Chi-chi, it's a great figure too)

    Cordially,
    Alskayer, from the Manufactorum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alskayer,
      Over the years I've experimented with all sorts of undercoats black, white, grey and coloured. My current favourite is to pick a colour somewhere in the darker mid range of what the final colour will be. I just feel that takes me less work to cover up and gives me a lot of flexibility for going darker/lighter. If I was painting a very bright or light colour I would probably base coat with white first.
      I like to keep the paint layers as thin as possible so that's another reason why I go straight onto the mini with a base colour rather than first painting an undercoat.

      Delete
  4. This little fellow is quickly turning into a super-star for miniature painters. I know so many top-class painters that paint(ed) this one already. Maybe if I paint it too, I will also be a top-class painter, however unlikely that connection may seem ^^

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just got this mini so I'm interested to see how you approach it. I love the face, looks like you've made a great start to it already. :)

    ReplyDelete